PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 7 approaches , 600lbs fuel left in a 737 of Jet airways in almost VFR
Old 31st Aug 2015, 00:55
Chuck Canuck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
. Dog, I think he's trying to tell you that a professional crew don't go below minimums as you appeared to suggest in your earlier post. Doing that will mean a very short career in aviation. A professional crew would never allow this kind of situation to develop in the first place.
I would never advocate busting minimums and you are right, a very short career indeed.
With the kind of viz they had, ground contact could probably be established before minimums, as in Vertical Visibility.
Whatever, 6 go-arounds seems excessive, I have flown quite a bit in India and seen the conditions first hand, hence my comments.

With low fuel they would of course declare an emergency, then go below minimums as needed,
to get on the ground in one piece
I was behind the B-707 that crashed in JFK as he ran out of fuel, it was painful to listen to.
Should have declared an emergency, then followed the ILS to the runway..
.....dog, you are indeed backtracking. The slip is indeed showing!

There are weather phenomenon whereby the slant visibility can be very different from reporting prevailing visibility.

My only grind, the crew should have buggered off somewhere better after the second go around. If unable and committed to land there, then declare an emergency to ATC to get the ILS all protected and all other services ready for any eventuality and make a " blind autolanding ".