PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Baggage handler seriously injured at YYZ
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2015, 08:44
surely not

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What is the current fuss about working 16 hours all about? It is more accurately a 16 hours shift, as it is highly unlikely that he worked for more than 8-9 hours due to the aircraft schedules, the rest of the time he would be in the crew room.

When I started off in aviation there were those who would sign up for overtime and those who preferred not to. I was happier to work 16 hours, my normal 8 hours shift plus 8 on overtime) than to work an 8 hours shift on my day off. You never had to physically work all the hours, and being at work wasn't so bad as it was generally a good crowd you were working with. Those who volunteered for the overtime were usually doing it to pay off loans for cars or holidays, or bank overdrafts.

Tragic as this accident is it does reflect that with airlines demanding shorter and shorter turnround times whilst having higher load factors, and on time performance being subject to financial penalties if not achieved, both by the GHA and also by the passenger in Europe, the ramp staff feel the pressure of time more than the pressure of safety. You can train until you are blue in the face, but in the workplace Duty Officers/Supervisors all pressure the staff for on time.

The management need to be careful that the message to its staff is always safety over on time.

Is it sadder for a youngster to die than an older person? What warped thinking is that? An older person robbed of their retirement and time with grandchildren is just as sad to my way of thinking.

“Your heart just breaks, because it’s someone who’s just starting their life,” said Sean Smith of the Toronto Airport Workers’ Council.