PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commissioned Vs NCO Pilots
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2015, 19:27
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some of the previous posts re the U.S. CWO rank, have once more enlightened my feeble brain, and a big thanks for all who posted and explained the rank. As a SNCO (RAF) I was posted to Machrihanish in the early 80s to run the Visiting Aircraft Serving Section (VASS). On one occasion during the 2 year 6 month tour we were informed of a UC12B arriving with a "bigwig" on board. White overalls for the marshallers and as we had both USN Seals and a rather large USN Aviation Weapon Facility on the unit, a reception committee of our own Staish (A Wing Commander) and the OCs of both US units lodging on Machrihanish. The chap who stepped off the UC12B was "getting on a bit" but was saluted by all three of the Stations senior officers, he duly returned their salute. I was later informed by one of the SEALS that he was the Chief Warrant Officer for the European theatre. Having read the previous posts, I'm no longer in awe of a Warrant Officer that command both the respect of senior officers, and, his own personal aircraft and crew. Thanks again all. You learn something new every day, if you follow PPRUNE!

Smudge