PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BGA airspace open letter
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2015, 17:35
vee-tail-1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems to me that your problem is not really about gliders, it's about having many other people flying on the same day as you. Imagine replacing each one of the gliders on a good gliding day with a PA28. Would it be any easier or safer for you?
Thanks Paul
OMG! ... a swarm of PA28s in close proximity turning and climbing / descending in random fashion and liable to be encountered anywhere in the area would effectively close the airspace! No it would be hugely dangerous for everyone.

We have rules of the air which transiting GA aircraft observe and some of which would be difficult for a glider to conform to.
Other GA aircraft are a known risk, we will all be using the semi circular rule / quadrantals which gives some protection from reciprocal traffic.
We will be getting traffic advisories from ATC and will be squawking for radar.
Some of us may well be adding to our situation awareness by using the Unicom frequency as it was intended ... broadcasting regular position reports to inform other pilots. Indeed when close to a gliding site I have tried calling on the glider frequencies to get an update on how many are flying and their position. Sadly I seldom get a response.

Yes it would be good sense to use a different route if one was available, but in our overcrowded island that is not so easy to do. If my aeroplane was certified & equipped for IMC and my rating also, then it might be possible to fly IFR in controlled airspace. But that defeats the whole object of retired flying for me ... I just want to safely go places in good weather and enjoy the view, and I really don't want to bump into anyone on the way.