PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BGA airspace open letter
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2015, 10:57
vee-tail-1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mary let me clear up a few misconceptions.

Firstly I have flown in gliders recently as pax in a two seat state of the art Blanik from Nympsfield.

Secondly I like gliders in the same way that I like bikes and windsurfers. Gliders are exquisite examples of function creating form, and their sculptural beauty never fails to delight. The gliders, the gliding community, the whole gliding scene is like a big friendly tribe of enthusiastic people. Indeed I use (and subscribe to) the Wendy weather beacons ... they give me the actual weather for the areas I need to transit in my powered aircraft.

As I glider pilot I might wish to be free of the threat posed by GA aircraft bumbling through my area of uncontrolled airspace.

Equally as a GA pilot I might wish to be free of the threat posed by gliders operating in the area of uncontrolled airspace I need to transit through.

Who is at most risk is debatable, but glider pilots wear parachutes and GA pilots do not, so the threat to life is somewhat biased.

Living in West Wales means an into Sun morning departure, and an into Sun evening return. So I am constantly looking out in the vicinity of Talgarth ... it's a bit like wartime, with the threat coming 'from out of the Sun'. I have sometimes flown very high, just under the airway and encountered gliders. So now prefer to go low following the valleys.

Anyway my main point, which is still up for debate, is that: Within uncontrolled airspace there is a basic flight safety incompatibility between what gliders need and what GA needs. This situation requires all pilots to keep an exceptionally good lookout, but will not be resolved until a technical fix is developed.