PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BGA airspace open letter
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2015, 20:06
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vee-tail and Dave Unwin, I am sure if you guys sat down in the bar and exchanged stories about the good old days and bought each other a pint, you would get along just fine.

According to your personal profile, Vee-tail, you are ex RAF bomber crew (was that a pilot or other crew?) and you have 11,500 hours in big aircraft, ex BA flight crew....and you are now a professional pilot, retired, living in Wales, and flying light aircraft from time to time. Is this a correct resume?

I am sorry that you have been irritated by the exchange, and seem to be resentful of glider traffic, which is restricted of course to uncontrolled airspace and so squeezed into smaller and smaller corridors. So if you are no longer flying in controlled airspace, it must be a worry to you that you may encounter one or more gliders.

Dav Unwin, I think Vee-tail has found the uncontrolled airspace more dangerous than the flying he used to do commercially; it would be nice to have a technical fix that was effective, but in the meantime, boys, there is no substitute for being alert and keeping a good lookout.

And flying above the level of convection is also more comfortable if you are really worried about gliders!

Vee-tail, let me present you with a challenge. Get in touch with the Black Mountains Gliding Club at Talgarth in Wales, and book an hour in a two seat glider with their local instructor and have a go at some real hill soaring.
It may just open you to a very new and wonderful experience.

Do let us know how you get on, if you are up for it!

Mary