PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BGA airspace open letter
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2015, 09:06
Prop swinger

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Firstly, you don't need to pass an RT exam to fly, it is perfectly legal & possible to get a PPL(A) without using a radio.

Secondly, you are arrogant because your attitude is "I'm-so-perfect-I'm-so-wonderfull-everyone should-be-just-like-meeee-because-I'm-so-great".

The notion of a radio as a collision avoidance system is laughable, transponders are only marginally more useful, particularly for the majority of pilots who can't get a traffic service in Class G. I can point to plenty of instances of transponder equipped aircraft colliding.

Glider pilots aren't opposed to technology per se, just overpriced, useless technology. Transponders are yesterday's tech, favoured by the type of pilot for whom the primary purpose of flying is to play pretend-to-be-an-airline-pilot. Glider pilots prefer aircraft to aircraft awareness and collision avoidance systems. This is the future of collision avoidance but, of course, bypasses the radar controller and thus deprives you of the chance to play the vector Victor, clearence Clarence, roger Roger game you so enjoy.