PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Please help! My dream of becoming a pilot
Old 19th Aug 2015, 13:56
faoodx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Please help! My dream of becoming a pilot

Hello everyone!

This is my very first post on an aviation forum so I apologise for any unintentional mistakes I make

I am a 16-year old high school student living in Brisbane. I've had this dream of becoming a pilot since I was a little kid. I loved playing with toy planes, watch them fly and even be on one, and I wasn't even thinking of becoming a pilot back then. However this all changed when I dowloaded flight simulator X. I knew NOTHING at all about aviation, I somehow learnt the basics by myself and using help online. I joined IVAO (International Virtual Aviation Organisation) and met a lot of friends who were older than me by a few years (most of them joined aviation colleges this year) and real pilots who also taught me a lot of stuff.

*Jumps to the end* In 2014, I bought PPL books and started studying them in advance at home, and these books were the only books I actually enjoyed reading Few months later, I started looking at flight schools, had a chat with one and went on two flights on a Cessna 172. Those were the two best hours I've ever spent. I did my own takeoff for both times and did the landing on my second flight (almost landed on the grass the first time). I had full control over the airplane for almost the entrie flight both times, and it was FUN.

However 2 weeks ago, I went to get my class 1 medical and I failed it because I found out I was colourblind and had to take further tests in the QUT optometry. I went there and did my tests and all and found out that I had a severe case and failed the lantern test (which is a test requird for colourblind pilots) but there is a chance I might pass it one day (Insh.) and get my medical 1. This made me very depressed. I stayed home for 2 days just because that was the only thing I was thinking about. I didn't know what to do. Everytime I hear an airplane my heart starts pounding rapidly and remember that I will never be able to fly bird.

Let's say I pass the medical test, should I still become a pilot? It costs a lot of money too and my family isn't that rich at all. It's not even guaranteed that I will get a good paying job. Can someone PLEASE help me on what to do? I have done my research but I found 50% negatvie and positive views on being a commercial pilot, and 100% positive views on being a private pilot. Should I still pursue a different career and get my private pilot license later? Or should I become a pilot (remember that I am not rich)
Please help me :#

Sorry for the long post :P