PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commissioned Vs NCO Pilots
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2015, 08:46
MPN11

Received 137 Likes on 64 Posts
As one of the "5 O-Level" Direct Entrants, I was immensely grateful for the RAF's desire to recruit and train young officers to become Danny42C's successors in ATC without demanding too many academic qualifications. I'm sure my 6th O-Level* was, however, the key to my subsequent modest career success

As a small digression, my various visits to OASC [first at Hornchurch, subsequently at Biggin] clearly eventually impressed the Secetion Board.
1. "Test in advance" for Permanent commission via Cranwell. Rejected [not our sort of chap?]
2. ATC Flying Scholarship. Thank you for my PPL
3. RN Aptitude testing before rest of selection process at Gosport. Commissioned as Officer Cadet, failed Flying Grading at BRNC Dartmouth.
4. Applied for Supplementary List commission as GD(G)ATC. Yesses .... success.
Two humorous moments I recall vividly:
The barman at the Candidates Mess at Biggin ... "Hello, Sir. Back again?" This did not enhance the mood of my fellow candidates within earshot!
The Selection Board, looking at an extremely fat file that really deserved to be in 2 parts ... "Good morning, Mr MPN11, I see you have been here before."
* #5 and #6 obtained after a year of 'further training' in whet the school called 'The General Sixth Form'.

Persistence paid off in both areas