PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BGA airspace open letter
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2015, 19:22
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thing, me old buddy, can you possibly tell us more about your gliding experience? you say you have gained the Silver Certificate, that's 5 hours endurance, climb of ? meters, and 50 kilometers x-country. But have you ever flown in competition, with a flock of other gliders sent on the same task?

Believe me, going all by your lonesome on a 50 k. task, one has all the time in the world to announce to the nearby Brize Norton, or Upper Heyford, your position,maneuvers, and intentions. That is, if your basic K8 or K6 has been equipped with a radio...though any competition glider is required to have a working radio, the more basic gliders seldom do.

But also believe me, if you are flying in competition, WHICH HAS BEEN NOTAMMED, if anybody bothers to read notams these days, you have got very little left over attention from KEEPING A BLOODY GOOD LOOKOUT, staying airborne, staying on track, and when you get low, chosing a suitable field. Aviate, Navigate, Communicate etc etc. To any ATC looking at the radar, a flock of gliders on task must be impossible to assist; and can only help the situation by informing people with engines flying in straight lines at predictable altitudes, what may heading their way!

I have had from British controllers very helpful advice, including Brize, on one occasion when I was - on my own, not in a competition, trying to fly 300 k in a standard 15 meter wingspan glider. Got low after getting past Brize, and they relayed a request to Fairford, and got me permission to land there!
Lovely. The Officer in charge at Fairford (he was a Yank) helped move the glider off the runway, bought me a milkshake and a burger, and gave me 4 tickets for the tattoo the following week!