PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Commissioned Vs NCO Pilots
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2015, 08:25
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Army Mover, the RAF toyed with the command/erk system back in the 50s.

The anointed went to Sleaford Tech and were awarded a General List commission to age 55. The hoi polloi went to boot camp for 4 months, taught to use a knife and fork and march in straight lines and then awarded a commission on the Supplementary list. Age for age they could then revel in being more senior to their 'betters' at Sleaford Tech for the next 5 years. Thereafter, if they passed the B exam, they would remain ad flt lt to age 38 (originally 41). If they didn't pass the B they became permanent fg off free of all responsibilities. It was even possible to have a flying commission for just 5 years- just enough time for a full 3 year tour!

Their tech superiors, even as flt lt, got flt cdr slots and sqn ldr in their 30s. The except was those selected as ADC who, if they didn't cut it, might languish as flt lt to age 55 or become VSO themselves.

With the regular reductions in numbers of aircrew the pool, as you say, shrank and the supplementary list was abolished.

Last edited by Pontius Navigator; 18th Aug 2015 at 08:37.