PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK SAR 2013 privatisation: the new thread
Old 16th Aug 2015, 13:26
jimf671

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
I think we need to consider that a contract thousands of miles away in the southern hemisphere with part-time maritime LIMSAR really cannot provide any kind of support mechanism for a contract of the size and complexity of the UK SAR contract. And it is only S-92.

I don't think that on 26th March 2013 either party to the UK SAR contract thought that there would be three types involved for up to a year at the beginning. OK, so with common systems on two types it is almost like 2.5 types (2.673 types anyone? ) but it is still a much increased training load at a difficult time in the contract when they are already trying to ramp up a wide range of capabilities.

I remain slightly concerned about NVG at Inverness though I am confident that they will be sorted for the winter. I am not going to get all excited about other bases going down on NVG capability or paramedic strength for a few days at a time. With the obvious extra training load and the size and complexity of this contract, a few glitches will happen as staff arrive from Managed Transition and Transition Teams get moved around to fill the gaps. Let's have a rested and properly trained pilot and paramedic on base tomorrow instead of an accident today.

And a big round of applause for all those who were doing this before there were any goggles or paramedics.