PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON -8
Thread: LUTON -8
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2015, 06:06
LTNman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Future bottle necks after expansion

I have noticed that the vast majority of check-in desks were open yesterday with the odd one closed here and there. In fact Wizz could have done with a few more open as their queues were massive and snaked into a part of the central area by WH Smiths that will soon be closed off as it is converted into the expanding security area which still has a long way to go.

Yet under the the redevelopment plans there is no provision or room to expand the total number of check-in desk. With check-in desks dedicated to a particular airline when open will there be enough if new airlines come to Luton?

At the moment the drop off area consists of three lanes with a further four lanes that are rarely used as most people don't know that they are there. Under the new plans, when the drop off area is moved, the seven lanes will be replaced by a longer single lane that does a U turn and double backs on its self. Will a much longer single lane be enough when cars often double park to let passengers in and out thus blocking traffic?

So what happens when the airport reaches 18 million and wants to grow further? I can't see any other way apart from a terminal 2 outside the CTA and south of the runway. Luton's 1.3 million passengers in July is the equivalent of 15.6 million passengers per year so I would think that planning should be taking place now for what happens next.

Last edited by LTNman; 28th Aug 2015 at 21:39.