PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BGA airspace open letter
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2015, 09:29
PaulisHome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I agree with most of what's been said in the earlier replies.

When I fly aerobatics, I do so with a traffic service wherever possible. As to whether it's an annoyance, well id rather not crash into someone! Safety first.
Traffic service I understand. If I can get one, it's useful. You're getting usable information about other traffic, and you've been positively identified. But it's only available if there aren't many aircraft around.

But to get slightly off topic, what's the point of a basic service? I don't think it helps you avoid crashing into anyone.

As defined, IIRC, a basic service doesn't give any traffic information. But there is a tendency for controllers (without radar) to start passing vague information about the whereabouts of other traffic. It's of limited use, IMHO, particularly if there are five times as many aircraft around as that controller knows about. So the value of the information is low - all it's doing is taking up radio and workload capacity. And if the controller does know about all the aircraft they can't possibly pass useful information about them. Hence the 'No Service Required' approach.

A case in point. Last week I was in a competition which went past (and over) the Mildenhall CMATZ. About 40 gliders, many of whom gave them a call. It's what they wanted, but I can't see how it was useful - they probably didn't know who was who. Conversely, later on, when I was on my own, I received, (unasked, but welcome) what was essentially a traffic service and information about a PA28 which passed within a couple of hundred metres and a couple of hundred feet. But my glider is (unusually) transponder equipped, so that was feasible, and in that area, traffic density was low.

Paul