PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BGA airspace open letter
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2015, 09:04
PaulisHome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An interesting view from the BGA. Don't quite agree with the tone though, or that using the radio is a distraction.
Don't see a problem with the view or the tone - it's encouraging people to do sensible things, (largely for the benefit of others).

I'm a supporter of talking to ATC on the radio when gliding (in the appropriate places). But remember what we're all taught - the priority is Aviate, Navigate then Communicate. Glider pilots don't have one of those noisy things at the front - the only way they stay airborne is by using their brain to put the aircraft in the right part of the sky. I've had a few occasions in the last year or two where talking to controllers has left me in a place where I'd rather not have been - I'd stopped looking at the sky for a couple of minutes!). And if I get low, and am scrabbling to stay airborne, that's where all my attention is needed - turning the radio off can be a help.

I also like the 'No service required' approach. I don't generally think a basic service is much use - controllers start trying to relay traffic information, but it's too general to be useful. Being told about a an aircraft five miles away doesn't help me very much - I'm more interested in the ones within a few hundred metres. All it says is keep a good lookout, which I'm doing anyway. Last week, flying in a competition, calling a US Mil a/f, and being told that there were a lot of gliders in the area was amusing. We sort of knew that. (this isn't a complaint - they were very helpful).

And the controller education piece is important - gliders behave differently to other aircraft, and it helps to know how and why (avoids requests like "maintain 3000 feet", which I've had).

Paul