PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON -8
Thread: LUTON -8
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2015, 21:38
Freq El Al Passenger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahhh! Nothing makes me happier than TLV-talk here on the Luton thread.

Originally Posted by nigel osborne
Is this going to hurt El Al or are their planes completely full ?
Originally Posted by wallp
I get Ovda but with easyJet and El-Al going to Tel Aviv at least once daily, often more can Monarch really make inroads into what is already a very well served route? It seems a slightly strange choice of route when there must be others that they could more easily make their own
Both El Al and Easyjet are currently commanding £400-£500 or more return on random dates throughout August and early September. My understanding is the flights are leaving absolutely rammed. Monarch would surely want some of that pie!

As I explained earlier in the thread, TLV's VFR pax really can't visit Israel too often. They'd fly every weekend if the price was right.

Ovda sounds like an odd choice at first: it's a right pain in the arse to get from the airport to the city, though it's a nice drive if you go along the mountain road. In ordinary circumstances an additional TLV rotation would probably have made better sense, but the Tourism Ministry is apparently paying out a subsidy of €45 per passenger, which sweetens the deal enormously. It's also possible they have some sort of arrangement with travel agents/hotels in the area, as there was a few years ago with Isrotel's charters.

By the way, Eilat Airport could in theory land an A321. But the apron is strapped for space and an A321 would probably block other movements until it's turned around. I doubt immigration there could handle the influx of international pax either. Finally, the runway is just too short and the return flight will require a tech stop in TLV.