PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best Takeoff and landing procedures from oilrigs
Old 12th Aug 2015, 02:56
Gomer Pylot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IME, passenger comfort and preference are not considered at all.

Once upon a time, we loaded the helicopter to max gross weight, and if it hovered at 100% torque or less, that was close enough. Hover to the edge of the deck, get the rotor over the water and the skids (or wheels) at the very edge, and hold the hover completely steady, moving nothing. Wait for enough wind to come up to get more lift, and then go over the edge. Use judgement to prevent going forward too soon, so as to not hit the tail rotor on the fence. If you couldn't get off at gross, you weren't going to last as a pilot unless you had pictures of bosses or some such. These days, performance charts may actually be used, but certainly not always. Newer aircraft have better performance, and PC2 takeoffs are usually possible. Get a stable hover in the center of the deck, pull collective briskly to reach 100% torque or other first limit, at ~10ft call rotate, and put the nose down to accelerate. The exact nose-down attitude isn't specified AFAIK, but it should be enough to accelerate somewhat quickly. The climbout speed should be Vy, or thereabouts, and you want to reach it as soon as practical. Airspeed is life, even in a twin.

For landing, it seems to vary a lot. I want to start the descent from ~300' above the deck. Once the descent starts, I don't care about airspeed, just groundspeed. Airspeed varies wildly, depending on the wind speed. The wind might actually be a little behind you, depending on the rig. Sometimes you simply cannot approach into the wind, and there are various ways around that. None of them that I know of consider airspeed, at least late in the approach. Part of the PNF's callouts should be rate of closure, both vertically and horizontally from the GPS. We didn't have that years ago, but now it's always there, so why not use it.