PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seaplane landings England legal?
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2015, 03:33
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Irish Seaplane has provided excellent advice. I regularly use my amphibious flying boat to commute, but I do it when I can, not when I have to. Getting a floating plane usefully to shore, so you can exit, and continue your day, requires a lot of thought.

As said, leaving them floating is undesireable. Ramping out a tricycle flying boat has challenges - many Lake Amphibians have had nosewheel problems and repairs. If ramping is to be regular, consider a taildragger amphib flying boat, they are superior in going up and down ramps.

I cringe at the thought of a brand new composite hull - for me to scratch first. Whenever I fly brand new floats, I try to not beach, dock or ramp at all, if I can avoid. I traded keel paint with a rocky bottom this weekend. Fortunately my keel has seen battle before, so it was just a few more marks - not the first! (Or damaging).

The idyllic vision of flying boat freedom, promoted by some, should be confirmed before broad acceptance!

When I train Lake or floatplane pilots, a lot of the time is spent on how to dock and disembark safely and practically, there's more to it than you'll see at first glance. As said, have a willing amphibian owner explore the plan for you first.

I sent an ampib from England to Canada in a container this past March. It worked, but was a lot of cost and effort. I doubt that you want your pride and joy bouncing around in a container.

Make sure that the insurance you desire would be practically available to you....