PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lowered requirements Emirates
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2015, 15:58
misd-agin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If prior turboprop time didn't count about half of the US pilot corps, especially the Captains, would probably not be working at their airline.

If having time in the airplane is an absolute must no one would be qualified. How do you get job #1 if no one has flown that type airplane before?

It might be the diffference between the US and overseas POV. The major companies in the US don't care if you have time in type. They look for overall experience and background and how they rate vs their peers. Variety of experience and background (TRE/TRI/CKA/mgt vs having one or two qualifications in the last decade) counts more than time in type.

I checked my logbook - I observed landings by 57 different pilots last year. All experienced, some with years at the company and years in the airplane, and some with no time at the company or in the aircraft. Up to including having not flown for 7 years before a six week type rating course (2 wks GS, 2 wks sims -10 total, then 25 hrs IOE/LOE. Two of the three weakest had over 6000 hrs in type.

To me, in general, experience does not predict ability.

Last edited by misd-agin; 9th Aug 2015 at 19:04.