PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lowered requirements Emirates
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2015, 05:41
CaptainChipotle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I may...

I think we've beaten the "experience" horse to death. An individual is just that, an individual. At my previous outfit we had ab-initio guys flying a jet with 250hrs. Some were good(enough to get by) and some were phenomenal operators. There is a point where we blossom as aviators and become who we will be. At times we are humbled and we are ALWAYS learning from our mistakes and the mistakes of our colleagues.

I think the real point is this: we've all worked really hard to get to the point in our career where we are wide body Captains or FO's. It's taken myself and my colleagues years of instructing, crappy low cost airline flying, long hours, low pay, and now we've made it to the big leagues. Except there is one problem, our T and C keep dropping and keep dropping. We are now overworked and highly underpaid and not respected from our company. Bringing in 1500hr guys (regardless of experience) will be thrilled to fly big jets on long haul routes, stay in lavish hotels, and work with a planeful of young cabin crew... ...it's a big carrot to dangle. They haven't worked as hard or as long as we have to get to this position and it bothers many people. They won't "know" how they deserve to be treated because they haven't dealt with the amount of sh1t we had to deal with to get this far. And the only reason we dealt with all that sh1t at previous companies was that there was a light at the end of the tunnel. One day we will make it to an airline that values us, pays us, and treats us well!

It's our job as current crew to educate them on how they deserve to be treated and that they need not be pushed around by management. Our current conditions are unacceptable and the rest of the "sky gods" would agree. If you don't think every captain you flew with when you were low time taught you something(positive or negative) then think again. Even as a Captain I'm still learning, and that won't stop until I quit breathing.

If 1500 TP guys stepped onto property and demanded to only fly 75-80hrs/month, expected more pay and more days off I think we would all be singing a different tune. Just my thoughts

Safe flying to all.

CC