PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON -8
Thread: LUTON -8
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2015, 20:13
cj241101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
handling agents

Not trying to justify poor service from handling agents BUT, low cost airlines have to take some of the blame when the handling they get is sub-standard. Example:- set the bar impossibly high and when the handler fails to achieve the impossible, fine them for not providing the service they were daft enough to sign a contract for in the first place. 25 minutes to turn round a 189 seat aircraft? Safely and without cutting any corners? You cannot be serious!! So the handling agents lose revenue when they don't achieve the impossible, cut their costs by paying the minimum wage and rely on employment agencies to fill the (large) gaps in their workforce. Then the service provided to their more, er, reputable? customer airlines takes a hammering as well. I rest my case.

As for Wizz doing their own handling, well, that would be a throwback to the 1980's. Monarch and Britannia did their own handling and both contracted it out to handling agents in 1992/3 to save money. This became the industry norm. Easyjet resorted to doing their own handling back in 2000, having used Reeds in their early years, but it wasn't long before they brought in Menzies to do it as they worked out cheaper. So I can't see any of the airlines going back to self-handling. Think about the investment in ground equipment - how many steps are required to handle 14 A-320's in the space of an hour? (28 - ideally). Tugs, ground power units, air start units don't come cheap, add on baggage trucks, belt loaders, towbars, insurance premiums....much better (and cheaper) to pay another company to do it all for you (and don't pay them when they don't achieve the impossible).

Last edited by cj241101; 10th Aug 2015 at 16:31.