PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK SAR 2013 privatisation: the new thread
Old 7th Aug 2015, 09:57
steve_para

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With regards to talk on this forum around Ambulance Paramedic to Winchman, I just thought I would add my two pennies worth....

I am a Paramedic, employed with a UK ambulance service. I volunteer with my local MRT and I have a small amount of SAR shadowing experience with the old RN flights and new Bristow / HMCG flights. And dare I say it, yes, I intend to pursue a career in UK SAR.

I appreciate some of the comments on this forum around the flying hours required and lack of experience (compared to WSOp crewman) for ab inito reacrew. I would however just like to remind people that not all ambulance paramedics are lazy, overweight and unintelligent. I work in a very rural location, routinely treat multiple patients (critical care) in mentally and physically demanding scenarios.

The world of an ambulance paramedic is not simply turning up in an oversized ice-cream 'van', applying a bandage and taking the person to hospital. Many paramedics (including myself) now have masters level education. Whilst I appreciate the ability to Harvard reference does not make a person suitable for UK SAR I would like to dispel any myth of a lack of intelligence.

Are there ambulance paramedics who would not be suitable for ab inito SAR crewman training? - Absolutely yes - the majority I would argue.

Are there ambulance paramedics who would be suitable for ab inito SAR crewman training? - Absolutely yes. Bristow in the near future will look to address this with the depletion of qualified SAR reacrew. A system like the OASC will be developed I would assume to test for aptitude. I am aware of a number of ab inito crewman have done well without the military background.

In know way am I dismissing the experience or capability of the outgoing military flights - I just wanted to point out that civilians without the military background have gone on to become very capable reacrew.

From my point of view (and from a selfish one ) I am guessing ambulance paramedics will have to be the next resource pool with proper, extensive training systems put in place to ensure the correct 'end product'.

With regards to the pay side of things, I have read all the comments of 'trolley dolly' wages. From what I can gather the pay on offer for reacrew is less than the RAF/RN. Not sure about this but to suggest an ambulance paramedic will be willing to work for £25k a year is completely wrong. Many paramedics are employed on band 6/7 with unsocial hours many clear £50k+.

Another point to consider - from 2016/2017 the HCPC who regulate Paramedics have now insisted on a full BSc degree to register. If Bristow intend to put ex- WSOp crewman (who aren't registered as a Paramedic) through a SAR course they may have some time to wait (3 years..)

Steve