PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lowered requirements Emirates
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2015, 18:34
Sheikh-It-Easy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lowered requirements Emirates

Glowworm, What do you think the success rate of the National Cadet program is? If a guy staring from zero, does fine, then surely a guy with 1500 would do better? Just thinking logically.

Upgrade time is around 6, 7k, I can't remember. So, 5 years in the right seat flying the network would be enough time to consolidate IMHO. Just saying...

EK is NOT a govt. airline (in the strictest sense of the term) and her employees are not govt. employees. A little research will reveal the facts. I though you were joking and after reading how serious you were, I had to stifle the laugh.

In an ideal world, lots of experience is great in both seats, but the industry is cyclical. We may for a while have lots of experience and a lack of jobs. Now we have a market where there are more jobs going around and not a lot of experience. The market is dictating things here, not the airlines.

Throwing money at the problem may have helped, I don't know. Way above my pay grade. But considering UAE revenues being down, the price of oil is $47 a barrel, subsidies on fuel are history, strong U.S. dollar, FED Rates rise on the horizon, most airlines would exercise caution, and conduct a risk evaluation. Nice thinking.

The risk factor in low time guys is already tried and tested with the cadet program, plus me, that 1 guy remember? Like I said earlier; if through the years we have had success with 0 time guys, then surely guys with 1500 hours would be a safe bet. I don't know why we didn't do this sooner.

Listen Glofish, I like you. I admire your spirit and concern for your family but maybe you're taking this all way too seriously. Rest assured, you'll be in safe hands with a 2 striper or someone with 1500hrs. Just 1 tip though considering your concern for the lack of experience; maybe before you send them on holidays next time, check if you have a 2 striper on board and if so, just to be safe, send them on the next flight. This, to be consistent. There's a French word for that... Never mind.

Airlines these days are masters at managing risk. Let the managers manage; you and I just fly the nice big jets. Just offering a humble assessment based on what I have witnessed. But then again, my opinion doesn't count... And to be honest, that's fine by me. Where's that Gulf news again?

Safe travels to us all.

SiE

Last edited by Sheikh-It-Easy; 6th Aug 2015 at 19:57.