PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lowered requirements Emirates
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2015, 14:23
Sheikh-It-Easy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a few comments on hiring ATPL holders with 1500 hrs: (IMHO)

1. Won't this help FOs upgrade quicker? Isn't that a good thing?

2. I remember when I was a green turboprop pilot droning around hoping that my 2200hrs counted for something; hoping to land that dream job. Isn't this move then a good thing for them? This is 'their moment'. Let's not spoil it.

3. Okay so the jet is bigger than a Dash 8, or a DHC6; and yes they will face a few challenges along the way, but I know of at least 1 guy who went from a little turboprop to a big jet and made it without too many issues. That guy was me.

4. To those on the forum who feel it is their right to slander whomever they want; please don't slander the training department or anyone else for that matter. If you've had a bad experience, you are in the minority and your comments may not be representative of the entire pilot group. They are still our colleagues and do the best with what they have in bringing guys up to speed. The 2 stripe pilots (< 1500 hrs) that I fly with are professional, polite and knowledgable. Stick and rudder skills; pretty good considering their experience levels. No problems there.

5. Concerning the "pay rise" and "what we should have got." Correct me if I'm wrong, but no where on my signed contract (with the gold lettering), does it say that the company is obligated to give me one. I see the 'step increment' clause, I see the 'possibility' of a 'profit share', but nothing else.

I signed THAT contract knowing full well that if the company chooses not to give me pay raise for all my years of service, it would be well within their right to do so. Apart from the annual step increment, they are under no obligation contractually to raise my salary. So hearing quotes of "20-30%" is a little unrealistic, IMHO. Have they raised it over the years? Most definitely.

6. Finally to the guys who are coming with their ATPLs; I will shake your hand and welcome you. I will answer your questions if I know the answer to them, otherwise I'll refer you to the FAQs. The girls are pretty, but remember the wives and kids that you brought along with you. The best financial advice someone ever gave me is to "leave with the same wife you joined with." Better investment that gold right now... Don't get me started.

Mostly I just want to read the paper and enjoy my coffee. If I'm napping, try not request weather or the ATIS (it's automated now you know). Refer to the Notam package, avoid the red and amber returns on the weather radar, and try to avoid level changes if at all possible. Communication will be your biggest challenge; multiple cultures languages, accents. You can fly whichever sector you want, and if I need to take the landing off you because of the weather, I will. Please don't be offended.

The jets are lovely, the rosters are sometimes tough, pluses and minuses all round. No such thing as a perfect airline. If you find one, go ahead and join it; but not for me thanks. I may mess it up.

Safe travels to us all.

SiE