PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How bad was this landing?
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2015, 15:01
rnzoli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Points taken!

OK, I got the point from both angles.

I won't lose sleep and won't request a maintenance review from the a/c operator, but I will definitely focus on avoiding this "gotcha" in the future.

I don't need theoretical training on landing, I know how to do it and most of my landings are nose-high as they should be.

This specific one was feeling odd, it was confirmed from the recording, and I wondered if this was a big deal or not. I definitely wasn't a passenger, because someone had to align to the centerline and round it out above the runway too, and that was me. However I missed the right time for starting the flare, and after touchdown, I didn't want to do any late control changes to avoid making even bigger problems (e.g., PIO).

Now while this incident was more like a non-event alone, it is rather dangerous to overlook it and allow it to develop into a bad habit on the long run. Add more variables into the landing, gust, crosswind, short or poor quality grass runway, and there I have the recipe for more serious troubles in the future.

So I promise everyone, that I will improve upon this, with more discipline and practice.

In hindsight, if the parachuters walk across the runway was so distracting for me, I should have just called it a go-around and try again. A low pass at unfamiliar and especially uncontrolled airfields looks to me a much more inviting idea now.