PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - High winds at Schipol. What a landing!
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2015, 13:56
FullWings

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Due to the FBW the 777 flies slightly differently. It's not night and day. After a couple of flights I completely forget what my initial impressions were. I just remembered it was different. The 777 is very nice flying. But it requires gentle roll inputs to avoid shaking the airplane.
This is true. Due to the long and fairly stiff wings, sudden roll inputs send a sort of reverberating ripple across the airframe. It’s amazing how “turbulence" stops sometimes as soon as the AP is engaged.

As far as the landing into AMS goes, it seems like they hit a rather gusty patch and some over/under controlling is inevitable in those kind of conditions. The camera angle I think made the roll angles look more dramatic than they actually were - ground contact with the wingtip and/or slat needs something more than 13/14degs in a normal landing attitude. It did skip a little bit from one main gear to the other during touchdown but that’s more because the rate-of-descent was low and it took a while for the ground spoilers to trigger.

It’s very easy to criticise when you weren't there but it was gusting to 50kts at the time (and probably some nasty lulls as well) and it looked like they landed on the centreline in the right place at the right speed. If it had been me, I would probably have requested a FDR playback to see exactly what happened and whether I could have done anything about it, otherwise job done.

Remember the definition of a good landing? One you can walk away from. An excellent landing is when you can use the aircraft again...