PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lowered requirements Emirates
View Single Post
Old 2nd Aug 2015, 10:37
Uplink

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well get ready for it as they will start the TP guys in January. If you want to know what it's like in EK now....well in addition to the "random" drug and alcohol testing, they are now testing for anti depressants! What's that tell you.

How does Dubai work? They want to put up the price of fuel here, so are increasing it in stages. I think I am right in saying they will over the next year or so put it up by 280%. If they did that straight away then there would be too much backlash from the local populous. So their idea is to put it up monthly and review every month. For August it's 24% with a review next month. It will go up and up. People will complain and absorb it. VAT, someone said 7%, but I think it's going to be more like 20%. The country is broke, the money and income from oil is not there anymore as the oil price is bottoming out and is said to stay that way for a long time. So it's panic time with any measure possible to survive.

So how does Emirates work....exactly the same way. It chops away at the terms and conditions little by little. Someone wrote on here a catalog of what he has lost since he joined. It's actually quite staggering and very sad. I don't actually know why EK make you sign a contract as its a worthless piece of paper that is changed weekly.

One of my colleagues always told me to pay attention to the emails posted that change the Employee handbook. I do now and am shocked to see what is being changed in the background that most of us don't pay attention to. Seen the leave entry now? Makes for interesting reading that doesn't really manifest itself until someone finally spots it. They have moved the threshold for leave to fit the fiscal year now. They also mention that carrying forward leave is now only valid for one year after. It then disappears and you will not be paid. Look also at their wording for when you can take leave. Well basically they tell you!

I am staggered at what has been taken away from us over the past 10 years. It started even way before then if you ask the senior guys. There are many to blame but the same names always are manifesting themselves. I am hearing they are soon to announce the retirement or departure of the poison dwarf. Can't wait. But I'm sure in true style we will get someone equally as unpalatable.

Like the fuel and VAT in Dubai, EK will continue to just chip away. No one will accept responsibility for the mass exedos so a scapegoat will be found. The problem in their eyes will have then been fixed.

When we start the career of aviation, most want the biggest, fastest and shiniest jet. That's the carrot or the goal. That's what EK are monopolising on right now. The wise realise that enough is enough. The inexperienced have a morbid curiosity about them. 1500 hours and an ATPL...in truth who wouldn't be tempted. It's really like being shot at for the first time. Hugely exciting with massive kicks of adrenalin, like a drug. Is it really that frightening or bad. The first time is a wow factor unsurpassed by anything you would ever have experienced. Then the realisation kicks in that perhaps the veterans were telling the truth. It's bloody frightening and has perhaps not been the best idea.

For a TP guy to join, well done you have achieved a major step and secured your dream. Your family are hugely proud of what you have achieved. A year down the line when you see more inside the workings of what you have signed up for, you realise what all the moaning, whinging and complaining was about. You then join the ranks on here and put your two cents in.

The company are wanting to survive and make lots of money. They wheels have fallen off to coin a much said phrase. They will now try anything to survive, and I mean anything. It will get a lot worse believe me......