PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light at the end of the Tunnel
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2003, 23:10
PPRuNeUser0215

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About BA recruiting soon, I hope so as it is always great to see guys securing new positions.
But what I would like to point out is the difference between what was happening a few years back and what is going on now.
Traditionally BA was the reference when it came to recruitment. Indeed, if BA was recruiting, shortly after the others would have to, in order to make up for those going.
That was very true a few years back but bear in mind the following...
The biggest recruiter these days is not BA (assuming they will resume any form of recruitment by year end that is).
Indeed, Easyjet and the Ryans have been taking on a significant number of pilot not only in the past few months but also in the past 2 years.
These two players together recruit and will continue recruiting pretty much twice as many pilots than BA will and for the foreseeable future.
What I am saying here is that BA recruiting doesn't mean a huge surge in pilots requirments anymore.
It is a significant, encouraging and important sign but nothing more I feel.
Also, BA used to attract many pilots from charter airlines but with the vanishing of a very interesting pension scheme, time to command etc... things have changed.
Saying that, I certainly believe there are jobs around and I ll be very interested in seeing how things develop from here and in the next two years.

Perhaps we all are on a good thing but things will remain a little blurry for a little longer but with a positive outlook I am sure.