PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lowered requirements Emirates
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2015, 16:10
120feet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Props are not the issue

There appears to be some confusion about what the guys are concerned about here. Flying the airplane is a very very small part of the job. At EK it's about 1% of the time. So it is not that they hate TP guys nor think them inferior pilots. The same concern would be levied against a Red Bull air racer. The simple fact is most props are limited to a very tiny region of the globe, and hence so is your TP experience. Yes, there are exceptions. I am saying most. Now, you are a captain on your 7th day in a row, flying a trip that has been reduced from three pilots to two pilots. (Due to lack of crew.) You have a TP guy with 2000 hours sitting next to you over deepest darkest Africa, in an airplane that may be 100 times heavier, fly 3 times faster and take 10 times the runway to stop then what he just stepped out of, and facing weather he has never seen. As a TP he will have very little to offer except SOP regurgitation, which will get you through 95% of it. But when it counts, really counts, and things are going pear shaped, there are safety issues that need to be addressed. The TP pilot may very well may end up adding stress to the problem. The concerns have very little to do with flying the airplane it has to do with experience. This is not an offense, many of us started there, myself included. However, I can tell you there is a legitimate concern. Now, if EK wants to do 50 sectors with the TP guys and let them fill their boots, then no worries. Or hey, better the T&C and keep the guys you have. All this IMHO.....

Years ago a CRJ 70 was not good enough but a CRJ 90 was. Same plane. The things EK does rarely make sense.