PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - High winds at Schipol. What a landing!
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2015, 21:42
Calvin Hops

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FullWings That looked reasonable to me in gusty weather. It’s not the absolute crosswind component that causes issues, it’s the variation. If that was on 27 with the wind from the right, then the wind is gusting off the runway.

I have yet to fly in a simulator that accurately reproduced the sort of conditions you get above. “Grading” people as Kilda says on sim replay is ridiculous: basic technique is all you can judge. OK, I only have about 14,000 hours on the 777 so am not in a position to comment...
I think Kilda was referring to a case of a failure on a proficiency check in KAL by an alteon checker on someone who pulled off a gusty crosswind landing in an almost similar situation but with no such bank or downwind gear touchdown. The only fault was a residual crab angle resulting in the " twisty sensation " perculiar to the t7. The alteon checker put down that as a " hard landing ".

Now in those days without the teledyne, the sim gives a " crash " signal if any of the parameters are exceeded ( bank angle, over G touchdown, drift angle, etc ). None of those happened and no " crash " manifested on the sim screen. The alteon checker maintained the " fail " because it is " HIS DECISION, PERIOD " . His " JUDGEMENT ".

Mind you, the other alteon instructors who came to know about it thought it was ludicruous, but Alteon as a company had to support that decision. It was a political decision. Many Korean pilots were failed during that year, and the Korean pilots raised hell at training meetings...the alteon instructors were told to fail a couple expats as well ( should a good situation and a weak link present ). It was to appease the Koreans.

Two expats were failed in quick succession. One of them was in the situation above. The other was failed because of a momentary " sink rate " exceedence in final approach.

I spoke to a few alteon instructors, they were disgusted. 2 left alteon korea shortly after, not wanting to be associated with that kind of farce. Hard to take but sometimes business decision trumps everything else.

BTW, that alteon checker never flew a t7. He was 757 driver hauled up well beyond his station. " nuff said!