PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - High winds at Schipol. What a landing!
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2015, 20:50
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People are still asking if this B777 was a stabilised approach. I've looked at a video from another angle. Given that the conditions were turbulent it would never be calm and steady. Were the criteria met at 500'? It looked like yes. Were they maintained down to 100'? It looked like a handful, but broadly yes. From the other angle the wing drop looked like it occurred at a height where the downwind rudder might have been applied and the into wind aileron over applied and then quickly corrected. This could have been pilot induced or it could have been a sudden decrease in X-wind as the de-crab was applied. Either way the wing drop was corrected and a controlled landing was made. The a/c didn't seem to rock & roll, nor bounce from mains to nose gear and back again. From videos of many other landings done in that period it seems mission accomplished in an acceptable manner. Debrief in the pub, not CP's office. Perhaps any guys & galls up front at the time on that afternoon can enlighten us. I'm happy to have been an armchair pilot on that day. Nuff grey hairs.