PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - High winds at Schipol. What a landing!
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2015, 20:13
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On the A330, I used to let the autopilot fly the airplane down to about 300' before disconnecting. The autopilot is fantastic on that airplane! A copilot was making an approach in bumpy and crosswind conditions one day and he disconnected the autopilot about 6 miles out and hand flew the approach. I suggested he reconnect the autopilot and let it do the job. He continued hand flying and fought the airplane the whole way while I jumped nervously in my seat. After we landed and slowed down, he said next time he will use the autopilot!!

This is a slight thread creep: and I suggest we've sorted out the merits of the KLM 'good job done' and agree to disagree if we have to.
The statement above however invites a discussion, and it might be type specific. At AMS some years ago there was a runway excursion in a B757. OK, the report calculated that the X-wind which hit the a/c was much more than ATC was giving. I can't remember whether it was decided the a/c was controllable or not. It may have been outside 'demonstrated limits' but that's not a absolute limit. One main criticism was that PF left the A/P engaged until a low height and then had too short a time to "get used to the conditions and the a/c's behaviour". For a direct control B757 I would agree with that. For an A330 I defer to the more experienced PF's. However, back to my previous comment about 'experience = the number of times you have to solve a problem', it was sad to come across this attitude from low time B757 F/O's. When asked "which sector you'd like?" the more adventurous/confident ones chose the 'sportive weather', only then to leave the A/P in CMD until DA + 100'. Did this enhance their experience? Not much.