PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - High winds at Schipol. What a landing!
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2015, 15:23
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looked OK to me, and mostly under control. I suspect the 100'-50' lurch was mother nature: it was corrected and a/c touched down and what seemed, considering, a normal manner.
The EVA A332 was very different and a GREAT decision. I've only flown A320 in the sim; round the circuit. It was not intuitive in pitch or roll. I've flown some nasty weather in B737/757/767 and found it natural. I suspect the AB drivers will say that with practice you 'get the hang of it', but how often do you get to practice. I found I was almost having to think what to do and then do it, and this included remembering to centralise the stick. In the Boeing you can stir the pot to keep it stable. I doubt you can do that in the AB. I'd like to hear from AB guys their techniques. In the EVA case we do not know the experience of the crew, and by that I mean how many severe cross wind landings they ha done, not how many autoland/calm day manual landings or hours. How many times had you solved this problem already: that's the REAL experience.