PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rosters Today? + days off
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2015, 09:11
harry the cod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SOPS et al

The only 'iffy' part of the contract not being honoured is the leave. 42 days leave per calendar year is what's stated in our contract. We are also 'bound' by rules and regulations in the HR employee handbook which are subject to change. However, whilst the hours, working conditions and other similar day to day issues have been altered, which are quite normal with most Companies, the fundamental contract has not. Just ask your friends and colleagues in BA if there have been changes over the last 10-15 years. EK is not unique, believe me. So, despite our protestations, I still get my Company Provident contributions of 15%, the housing allowance, education allowance, ALT, ELT, and all the other items listed on the contract renewal that's updated each year with my increase in pay, even if it is only a step increase....again. Correct me if I'm wrong but the above allowances have never been reduced, only increased, correct?

So, while many bemoan the ever eroding conditions, which for the record, I too find disgusting given such high profits, the basic contract itself remains the same as when we all joined. It never guaranteed rosters for commuting. It never guaranteed 75 hour per month. It never guaranteed credit for leave or sim or distance learning. These are lifestyle changes, not contractual changes. If the recruiters sold you that, blame them, not the Company. I was promised a 'fast track' command after 18 months during my interview. That was changed after Gulf Air 072 and changes to the upgrade policy in EK. It took 3 years instead.

In summary, I'm not agreeing at all with the current policy changes and hours we work. They're brutal, especially given the timings of many of our departures, the roster patterns and the 24hour layovers. Add to this the reduced days off, lack of stringing some together and the accepted norm of 30 days leave, we're well on our way to a train smash. Not a mechanical one I hope but a man power and motivation one. Basing their target for all pilots to achieve 30 days leave is shameful and disregards not only the contract but the welfare of those working a damn sight harder in productivity terms than those plodding through Costa at 0715 every morning.

Next time you're called in for a chat, go early and have a wonder around FLT OPS & Cabin Services. See how much work is actually done in between the coffees and checking their phones. Based on work ethics and what's expected, you might as well be working for an entirely different organisation!

Harry