PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Winter is here and so are the dangers of icing to unprotected aircraft
Old 25th Jul 2015, 07:45
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was a from quoted interview conducted on the captain by Greg Banfield. My eyebrows were raised (like yours, no doubt) when I read the record of interview since I had never heard of underwing ice in a DC3 which is normally caused by very cold fuel in jet aircraft either during a long flight or sometimes by the temperature of fuel from a tanker or above ground source.
Folks,
I have never heard of "underwing ice" on a DC-3/C-47 either. Underwing ice generally refers to a characteristic of some aircraft (L-188 Electra was one) to accumulate ice where you would not normally expect it. Ex- Electra pilots might like to comment on the sudden increase in cruise performance when said accumulated ice suddenly departed the aircraft.

This was nothing to do with frost forming on underwing surfaces due cold fuel.

Some other aircraft have a reputation for collecting ice in odd (less traditional) places, the MU-2 was good at collecting ice under fuselage between the undercarriage sponsons, it also used to depart "with a bang" -- and an immediate increase in performance.

Knowing Greg very well, who would have quite reasonably accepted what Lance said, and also the late G. Lance, I would want to have a look at the original accident report of the Dak. into the water that night.

Lost to accumulated ice, quite probably, due to "underwing ice" --- ????

Tootle pip!!

PS: Just a tip for the "newcomer", certified for flight in icing conditions does NOT mean certified for continuous flight in continuous icing. All it means is you can keep control of the situation as you work out how to get out of said continuous icing ASAP.
If your aircraft is not so equipped and certified --- and serviceable --- it is seriously dumb to fly in conditions where ice is probable, the "young player" will never believe how fast it builds, until it happens. Learning all about icing from a book beats the hell out of learning the hard way, but the result is (hopefully in the latter case) the same, you avoid it next time.