PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rosters Today? + days off
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2015, 20:25
Mr Boombastick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"To answer the incredulous that don't work at Emirates;
We as pilots only get paid for the amount we fly in the seat and nothing more. "

Don't you get paid whilst you're in the bunk?

"We do not get paid for holding , delays or strong headwinds.
We do not get paid for sims.
We don't get paid for ground duties.
We don't get paid for computer based modules that probably add up to 10 + hours a year in unpaid activity. "

Who does these days?

I'm not incredulous, far from it, I believe what you're saying but it's pretty 5hite out there at most airlines!

I pay for my uniform, parking, water, food, sim, ID. I'm on a zero hour contract, based in the UK, I have a forced month off, November this year which means no Christmas presents for my kids and beans on toast for Christmas dinner.

100 hrs this month, next week 33 block hrs from 5 days, 16 sectors, sim on day 6 and have to drive, at my own expense, a 250 mile round trip for the pleasure of doing the sim - the cost of which is deducted from every hour I fly!

To top it all off as I'm based in UK with all my expenses in sterling. I'm paid in Euro so I'm taking a 20% hit on earnings due to the exchange rate at the moment.

Add in the uncertainty of where you and the family will be after a command and all of a sudden EK and at least knowing where you're going to be based seems quite appealing.

I accept that things agave gone downhill for you guys but it's still, in my opinion, better than many places out there at the moment.

Last edited by Mr Boombastick; 24th Jul 2015 at 20:38.