PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brit Air aircraft down
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2003, 03:39
Willie Everlearn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all, as the wreckage lies smoldering by the side of the road just short of the runway, I'd like to lead this posting with my offering of condolenses to the family of the Captain.

Secondly, as a Type Rated TRI on the CRJ, etc., etc., blah, blah, blah...
I am inclined to credit a 5,000 hours plus "ON TYPE" CRJ Captain with having encountered 'something' on the approach that left little or no margin.
I leave your imaginations to evaluate that remark.

The suggestion of Pilot Error at this stage is preposterous. N'est pas???

We may in fact have to deal with the proverbial "error chain" in this one gents. (Not very profound, is it?)

I find the term 'co-pilot' very unprofessional and reeking of disrespect. (But, that's me) IMHO it is also a reference/term that should be swept out of our industry once and for all. As we all know, having at some point in our careers, been the 'co-pilot' we all know how silly the term/reference truly IS!!!!

...and let's not scoff at what the F/O apparently said, or remarked in the final split seconds of the approach for his degree of assertiveness may well be the stuff of MCT/CRM presentations in the months ahead as we examine another CFIT/Windshear/False GS capture/Stall accident on finals.
Who knows???

Let's step back and let the information unfold from the mouths of the French Accident Investigators who literally gather the facts each of us will ultimately learn from.

Willie