PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Few Ideas......
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2015, 14:21
Reverend Green

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’m sure the top would appreciate the directness of frontline feedback. You speak as if you’re ingrained in a fear / reporting culture, and if that’s the culture here then add that to the list of ideas for change. A company that doesn’t listen has no hope and I’m sure they understand that feelings run deep from everyone.

But yes you got me - I’m the 1000+ pilots on HKPA who believed we were joining Cathay Pacific – the best legacy airline in the world that cared for its crew. We were prepared to work harder than the rest, to be beaten down harder than the rest so we could rise up stronger, to become the ‘best of the best’ for great rewards. To stand taller than the others with pride and satisfaction that we had reached ‘the top’ and to take our place alongside the great aviators we so much longed to be.

Then the reality hit, and our dreams deflated, when we realised we were actually going backwards, that life was in fact unsustainable long term and huge sacrifices had to be made for very little actual reward. That there was also ‘a great disdain’ for us coming in, that this disdain extended from the very pilots we looked up to and aspired to be like. We took the blame for the decline, we still do.

There is of course no arrogance when speaking our minds in an equality culture, but a passion for change that reverberates throughout the entire pilot workforce. I don’t disdain Cathay, I enjoy my day-to-day job and the people I fly with but I still want for that positive change for both the people and the company – I always will. I want us to be the best in the world again, and I want to proud when I put my uniform on. Whilst others may mock, I still have faith in our management. I believe most of them want to see the same improvements for us we desire but I fear they have a lack of power from the very top. Perhaps I am too naïve after-all. As people have said, don’t expect change and if change won’t happen then people will have to vote with their feet. Cathay no longer remains the only option for people in an ever-increasing competitive world, and I think they finally know this now. I’ve already stated I would move on if I can’t sustain a living here – unfortunately I will have no choice.

I know not of one person who doesn’t regret their decision on coming here on HKPA because life is so difficult with a compromised lifestyle. When you reach the top, the struggle should surely cease. There was no agenda to the post other to highlight some ideas of improvement. A pleasant working environment makes a big difference to people’s attitudes, our work isn’t as hard as the old Cathay culture makes it. We remain positive that this once great airline can again find its feet and turn around the horrendous decline, move into the future and again extend the deserved respect to its pilot workforce and reward them for their loyalty and hard work, after all that’s why we came. The current culture is an incredibly unpleasant one to work in but whilst there are still people who believe there is always hope for change.

But when you have nothing to loose…..there is of course, nothing to loose.