PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-16 and Cessna Midair in South Carolina, USA
Old 22nd Jul 2015, 02:15
7478ti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are vastly better, safer, and less expensive ways

Bubba and Sissy will fly those desired paths (or airspace volumes) the same way gliders, Stearmans, tiny UAVs, LSAs, cropdusters, and parachutists will some day, ...with very inexpensive but effective trajectory definition and exchanges, using inexpensive RNP based navigators and data links, that mimic what the systems will eventually do on jet transports and other higher speed airspace users. That is the ONLY way any of low end GA will be able to afford to survive. It can now be done for a fraction of the cost of the present ATS system, with vastly better reliability and improved airspace access.

As for the utility of VFR, it is hard to get enthusiastic about continuing to support it as a useful or effective primary method in this modern era, when I still have first hand direct memories of AL853's Capt Jim Elrod's remains still buried in that soybean field in KIND from his midair, or countless other similar examples, including personal examples of nearly ingesting a vertically diving Zlin doing acrobatics into my GE90-115B as I popped out of a towering CU on a STAR flying into a sunset one evening.

It is easy to say that "VFR works" for someone who has meager flight experience, or never tried to spot traffic into a sunrise or sunset, or against the background metropolis night lights of KLGA, KDCA, KLAX, KORD, EGLL, or even RJTT, or that never has had to comfort the families of dead friends or passengers in the fighter, airline, or glider community from a midair, or had to investigate one of these sad events.

We all owe our flight crew member brothers and sisters, and families, and passengers much more than "you all be careful out there", and abide by FAR91.113(b), 91.159, 91.121, 91.209, 91.117, 91.111, and 91.155.