PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Few Ideas......
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2015, 16:42
Shep69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Preacher Man,

Thank you for your thoughful inputs and hopefully your want to improve things won't become jaded as you age and find them falling on deaf ears. Successful corporations DO listen, at least in the building phase. But most do eventually go through THEIR life as people sometimes do in general and do decline as these suggestions are no longer considered--or really even listened to or desired.

Most everyone wants to make things better and this is a good thing. So try not to lose this and keep a positive attitude.

Unfortunately, there ARE plenty of win-win solutions which have been proposed for quite some time by professionals wishing to improve lifestyle AND profitibility (these by the way go hand in hand--happy workers are VERY productive workers) which continue to fall on deaf ears. I have no idea WHY but have accepted that this IS the case. Things like stable rosters, a real PBS, preference based rosters, 14 hour unrestricted long call reserve (replacing the previous A-days), (like every OTHER major airline) being assistative in commuters getting to work (instead of our constantly trying to work against them and even looking for ways to get people in trouble--imagine the insanity of a company which deliberately does its best to make it hard for its workers to get to work !), 3-man with appropriate compensation AND (more importantly) fatigue and rest safeguard standards (rather than the hodge podge of crews thrown together at the last minute as we now roster to), and many more--many GREAT suggestions have been proposed by operators and SMEs and rejected out of hand.

The current 'system' of 'continuous reserve' is horrendously inefficient for everyone--especially the company. Instead of a planned and stable flow of assets, a hole is plugged today (or even just for the next hour) creating 4 more later in the week and 16 later in the month. Being stuck in 10-mile scope results in wild swings into overtime (as well as wacky and expensive cobbled together crews--CN, CN as RP, and 2 FOs, etc.) and then sitting folks as they 'time out' or legitimately go sick or fatigued (again with no way to plan any form of coherent rest between patterns; one's body ain't a switch--and the continued effects do take their toll in decreasing resistance to illnesses of all sorts), with this happening often at the last moment to boot. It decreases available assets on ALL levels, as well as decreasing the reliability of whatever assets are left. Exacerbating the already significant manning problem in an ever increasing spiral. Not to mention the effects on those trying to solve a puzzle which cannot be solved--kind of like when you screw up a BC localizer and wind up chasing a fleeting needle which just goes farther away faster.

It becomes frustrating, and results in one kinda trudging along and looking for greener pastures. This doesn't get me down anymore, but saddens me that through short sightedness and self interest at the exclusion of the whole, the powers that be are keen to trash out what truly is a great job with great people and what had (and could be) such a great place to work. It still has its moments and these are worth being grateful for. Lots of good folks, good friends, good places to go, etc. So one CAN still enjoy things.

In short, I wouldn't look for improvement until we see real action; not a few flowery platitudes. I'd suggest you look for YOUR part in this, enjoy things, realize TIME is the most precious resource in life, and don't feel trapped in any one place. We are trained professionals with experience and highly marketable skills.

As far as control, I WOULD suggest you not relish this but come to terms with what little you actually have. We can all drive our own boat from time to time, but in this world one has precious little control over others or most circumstances--and one's time is much better spent in learning how to DEAL with this. This has largely been the achilles heel of the company--not realizing this and allowing it to build toward arrogance which benefits no one. A storm doesn't get out of the way just because you're flying a green and white CX jet. So one can spend one's life constantly duking it out with the storms, or spend a better life trying to figure out a coherent and profitable way around them. Small ponds, large capital, and protective bubbles have sustained it so far but eventually the ponds dry up and the bubbles burst.

Last edited by Shep69; 21st Jul 2015 at 17:10.