PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Few Ideas......
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2015, 07:50
Reverend Green

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Few Ideas......

After the last year it has become apparent that many things need to change at Cathay to ensure we're all happy campers, and I appreciate we have a part to play. So I thought it was time for a positive thread to highlight some suggestions for management on how things can be improved (aside from just pay rises, and things that cost money) whether they are things other airlines do or just little things that might go to make things nicer. Let's try and keep it cordial, and professional and pertinent and constructive feedback. Here's my 2 Cents worth.

1) In the Flight-deck -
Hurry up and get I-pads issued to us all.
Proper back lumbar supports
Healthy crew meals I.e. Proper portions of things like salads -should be a whole main course e.g. Greek salad with grilled chicken kebabs.
Oh and get rid of the water spray and replace with a nice moisturiser...much more hydrating.
2) Training - stop the wastage (eg unnecessary sims....most 2nd officers do more than double the min required amount of sims then they still go on to do a full type rating....so much room for savings on sim / trainer costs (or negotiate with HKCAD, if possible so full type rating can be issued after the 3 years with all 'training' items complete) ......money saved put towards increase HKPA
second day of base training...is it really necessary? .....saving for one day of base training put towards increase in HKPA.
Get transition courses to go zero flight time...put savings towards increase in HKPA,
Get rid of unnecessary QL, trainer saving cost put towards increase in HKPA) - yearly line check anyhow.
Get rid of the term 'junior' first officer it is both derogatory and extremely outdated - rename First officer under probation...I don't see any 'junior' Captains
Set up an anonymous feedback system via a 3rd party company on all sims and training events whereby crews can 'really' say what their experience was and more importantly how trainers get 'honest' feedback to allow them to develop and be the best in the industry (like BA have set up)
'Train' crews before 'checking' them or just actually train them properly? Or actually remove the term 'checking' from the vocabulary and change the culture to a 'training' gentlemanly airline I.e. an airline that's actually looking forward instead of 30 years behind.
Allow crews (both captains and first officers) to be trained as sim operators and use the empty sim sessions for non-jeopardy practice - much more productive learning in a relaxed environment. (like BA does).
3) rosters - don't roster sims late / through the night then have a flight rostered early after, or roster sims after leave - pointless if you think individuals will study on much needed time off which is constantly happening.
Flights - keep early reports together and late reports together, constantly having lates to earlies and earlies to lates without proper time for rest adjustments (is it really that hard to do a run of constant lates a few days off then constant earlies).
Stop with the isolated one days off its useless to catch up from a week of hard work and only adds to long term fatigue issues.
Stop calling out an early reserve for a late flight to 'save the late reserve just in case' - early reserve should be for early flights and vice versa so proper rest can be planned.
Stop SOs on the min rest Dxb flights - if cabin crew need a full night for safety so should the flight crew, and SOs should be given at least same rest as cabin crew, just because 'it's legal' doesn't mean it's sensible.
Try and keep the crews together down route where possible to build a social and good team working environment for better relationships between the flight crew and cabin.
Get rid of the 'formal' introductions I think flight crew should make their intro in the cabin crew briefing room and break down the barriers making a more relaxed and 'modern' working relationships (I digress).
Crewing to be more transparent - list the flights that are un-crewed so crew can choose pick up the un-crewed flight for a 'ace' card to wipe a trip later on (helps crewing in the short term and allows crews to get late notice time off for a variety of lifestyle things - win/win) The rest picked up from reserve call outs (again BA have a system like this)....after CC, of course.
Honour all requests or just admit only the first 2 get processed, and have done with it.
Have one month of all reserve rostered then 'stable' rosters for the rest of the year.
Set up useful 'lifestyle' rosters or give crews the ability for temporary overseas basings again and even local Asian ones.
Or provide commuting rosters to allow new joiners an appropriate accommodation option like other Asian carriers.
.....I'll let the ideas roll in on rosters, as Pandora's box will open......
4) HKPA -hurry up and increase, many officers are running up debt to survive
5) implement a fast track school application for new officers or reintroduce overseas education to HK ESF limit.
6) Give SO officers the ability to choose from HKPA or a company paid accommodation ( larger size for those with family) like Emirates.
7) Staff Travel - extend to a certain number of 'nominated' companions, then at least siblings can bring their husbands and children to visit and single people their friends.
Extend FOC to Dragon air too.
Allow 'free' business class upgrades after a certain number of years service.
Let FOC actually mean free of charge (or at the very least the correct tax without the fuel surcharge etc).
8) provide sleep seats for crews at HQ to rest in after long duties before driving home.
9) free coffee in crew check in (and tea please of the English sort with fresh milk)
10) fresh milk for the free coffee in the sim block.
11) better ear defenders
12) change the 'stuffy' conservative culture into a more innovative 'fun' airline
13) hopefully not too late this one.,,.add platinum stripes on the new uniform to represent a 'real' change, instead of keeping the tacky gold that makes us look like a South American General.
13) whilst we're at it create a positive moto we can all rally behind and pin it to the captains jacket....
14) Pay out a decent profit share...it's only fair or provide us with dividend shares in the company.

Err think that's about it for me for now.......