PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gustave Whitehead: First in Flight breaking news
Old 16th Jul 2015, 09:56
Haraka

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
That's contentious Noyade ( of course! )
Santos -Dumont was flying his wheeled undercarriage 14-bis using ailerons, without ever utilising wing warping, in 1906. By flying unassisted off the ground in relatively still air and not using any external device such as a catapult, before accredited witnesses, under one interpretation of FAI rules this was arguably ( by some) also the first properly recognised manned aeroplane flight.
It all goes back to Carroll's point as to what are, albeit subjectively, considered essential characteristics to be a "proper" aeroplane ( and at what point in aviation history were those demonstrably fulfilled)
Carroll also stated that :
The Farman, which derived a good bit of its design from the Voisin, was a fully realized aeroplane
I see and respect where he is coming from, as it was an " aileronised Voisin" and I would suggest , more realistically perhaps fulfills your criteria. However the question of maneuverability versus natural stability as part of a "fully realised" aeroplane arises.
For that definition to apply , I think we have to look on a few years more and follow the evolution of the B.E.'s up to the B.E. 2c.
By many definitions this was arguably the first naturally stable, yet fully 3 axis controllable aeroplane in production.

Last edited by Haraka; 16th Jul 2015 at 16:52.