PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF staff travel
Thread: QF staff travel
View Single Post
Old 13th Jul 2015, 13:00
Ida down

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreed. In the heady days of flying to Zimbabwe, and only one flight a week, and ground staff to lazy to care, the distress of being left behind for staff when there were seats on the A/C was palpable. Till one FSD/CSM, did his lolly, raced up to the flight deck after pushback, which in turn made the Skipper do his lolly, and returned to the arm demanding staff be rounded up, seats counted, staff counted, and heads would fall if they matched. They did, and a grateful staff were brought on board after the skipper let a couple of broadsides into the air at the ground staff leaving them in no doubt how he felt. Meanwhile sitting in 1A is the Australian Attorney General. Now deceased. He in turn calls the Captain out on unneccessary delay, he had a flight out of Perth to DRW which was urgent. By now the F/O, the flighty, and myself, settled in to enjoy it all, as our red faced Skipper ( a former Pom) suggested to the AG, he ran the ship, made the decisions, and he was not leaving staff behind when there were seats available. The AG then suggested he would contact Sir Lennox Hewitt, and make a complaint, the Skipper suggested as to what he could do with Hewitt (nobody liked the bloke anyway, or the AT for that matter) the doors were closed, the F/O was handed the gig, as the Skipper contemplated his life outside QF. Halfway through the flight, the AG, asked if he speak to the Skipper, the now calmed down Skipper was feeling a little queasy to say the least, but off he went, as we discussed what the outcome would be. Ten minutes later, he returned beaming, all was well, a handshake offered, and a mutual friend discovered. I never heard another word about it, except the next time I flew with him, he talked about his mate the AG! He must have forgotten I was on the flight. He has now passed, a good bloke he was.