PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK SAR 2013 privatisation: the new thread
Old 13th Jul 2015, 09:54
[email protected]

Received 641 Likes on 280 Posts
Buccaneer Bill - you clearly have a rather simplistic view of life on a mil SAR flight - the RAF rearcrew have been systematically undermanned for years meaning that 12 shifts a month (rather than the new contractors planned 8 shifts) was the norm along with short notice detachments to cover shifts at other flights and short notice Falklands detachments. Plus all that other military stuff that is what the x factor is supposed to make up for.

Additionally, paramedic rearcrew also went to Afghanistan for MERT duties - is that front-line enough for you?

So, while the deployed SH crews got all their leave, courses and AT when they came home and knew exactly where and when they would be, the SAR rearcrews couldn't plan even a weekend off with confidence, were constantly having leave cancelled (always good for the families) and spending their seconds days (supposed to be there for recovery) travelling to fill holes in the shift plots of other flights. Try that after a run of shifts with night jobs and see how fit to fly you are.

Apologies to the SH guys as I know I have oversimplified your working routine but it makes a useful comparison.

Norfolk - the lack of rotation is because the SH force simply would not release their people for SAR selection let alone a full SAR tour - ask the Chinny crews how many made it across compared to how many wanted to come.

On a different note (and more on topic) I am led to believe that the Humberside crew took 3 attempts to successfully perform a wet winching demo at the Armed Forces day at Cleethorpes.............