PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 40% CASA staff increase whilst GA goes down
Old 12th Jul 2015, 02:20
Sandy Reith

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts
As one who started flying commercially with an ops manual of around twelve pages, no chief pilot interview, I can attest that bureaucratic topsy grew exponentially. If anyone doubts that CASA is over manned and gouging then consider the following:-

My attempt to transfer my training AOC to a couple that operated my flying school. He was CFI, they used their own aircraft, same airport, same students, same training area. Would CASA just allow a transfer? Oh no, they were made to go through all the hoops, the whole nine yards. Thousands of dollars and months of total rubbish. Bureaucratic make work and fee gouging for not one iota of benefit. I am still disgusted at the treatment of this enthusiastic and conscientious couple, as they struggled to make a living out of GA.

Why not instructors free to instruct as in the USA, no unnecessary, super expensive and massive time wasting Air Operators Certificate paperwar requirements? Flying training is the bedrock of Australian aviation. Couple this much needed reform with the brand new relaxed medical requirements just enacted by the US Congress and hey presto GA can fly, jobs, aviation business and enough Aussie pilots so 457 pilot work visas will not be necessary. Growing the job sufficiently will mean more GA friendly voices and voters.