PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates Advice to Stay Or Go!!
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2003, 19:57
Reverend Doctor Doug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Payscale,

As is my want, I would like to add balance to your statement.

Yes you can elect to take the company allowance and live wherever you want, the problem is that the company allowance doesn't go anywhere close to covering your expenses (assuming that you choose to live in a villa of similar standard to the one Emirates allocates, but in a more suitable position).

The simple facts are that the allowance is 95,000dhs and if you try to find a new 4 bed apartment in the Jumeirah/Umm Suqeim area you will be looking at 120k min plus utilities (approx 1500dhs/mth avge).

So sure, if you are willing to kick in another 50,000dhs you can live wherever you like.

On the other hand if you are happy with an older villa or a lesser location, and don't mind having no garden so you can save on water, then yes, you may get something that comes in around the allowance. If you are happy to live in Sharjah, as one guy does, then you will probably profit significantly from the allowance.

There are strong rumors suggesting the allowance may go up to 120k. This won't help a great deal with rental accom, but will go a long way toward mortgages for those that have bought, or would like to.

The last pay increase was last May (2002) and it was 2%. The previous was May 2001 and it was also 2%. An F/O who arrived here in the early 90's was being paid around 16000dhs. An F/O who arrives today is getting paid more than 16000, but less than 17000 (I'm not sure of the exact numbers). So that gives some perspective to the 4% we've received over the last 2 years.

Note from the trenches:

1. I know a lot of the sunshine and roses brigade are going to accuse me of whining again. They are wrong. I am just stating simple facts that add balance to unsupported statements made previously.

2. I am quite happy here and would recommend it to anyone who has taken it apon himself to become aware of all the downsides before bringing their toys to the Sandpit.

3. There is nothing worse than having your wife throw her toys out of the sandpit, and go home, because she was misled as to what life is really like when you actually live in the sandpit, rather than just coming to play occasionally.

Cop U Later

The Rev