PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEWCASTLE - 8
Thread: NEWCASTLE - 8
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2015, 11:49
Skipness One Echo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had a good look, haven't spotted a fact in a while - just plenty of whistling in the dark...

Skippy...

Quote:
In regional flying btw, they really need to make money in Economy as business class travel is traditionally weaker, hence the way Virgin out of GLA is shall we say, not cheap.
Quote:
You must (at least try) and understand that high spending customers whom the airlines need to make these sort of routes work
OKaaaaay let me be clear(er).
In regional flying, economy needs to be priced higher as there are fewer "more money than sense types" (my bad) up front flying to New York, cross subsidising us plebs down the back. Hence LON-NYC has some remarkably cheap fares down the back. However a higher economy fare is usually not enough in itself and UA needs to attract sufficient numbers up front to get the numbers over the line. When BA flew GLA-JFK they used to fill the back but were only 1 or 2 short of having enough customers up front to make the route work. Quite literally less than one handful of people in the right seats was all that stood between the axe and going forward.
Hence the (by then) seasonal operation was axed and the asset re-deployed, times change and perhaps the analogy is no longer as valid, I could be wrong. I hope I am, genuinely.

Hope that's a little cleaerer.