PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Company Course Online - Legality Question
Old 2nd Jul 2015, 08:11
Algol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Company Course Online - Legality Question

In this day and age, when many pilots are being forced to work to the absolute maximum of Duty Limitations, the value of DDO's has increased dramatically.
I find I need every precious hour of my DDO's to manage and address the cumulative fatigue I suffer as a result of maxed out rostering.

My employer knows the level of pressure we are under, yet they continue to pile on more by adding 'online' courses. These come with deadlines (often at short notice), and exams with mandatory passmarks.

None of this extra work is rostered. There are no 'project days' for study and completion of these courses and tests. They are meant to be done on your 'own time'. In other words - on your own DDO's.

I've just looked at the CAD definition of 'DDO'.
They define a DDO as - "A period at home base available for leisure and relaxation and FREE OF ALL DUTIES" (my capitals).

Now I'm sure there are wry laughs being heard all across HKG as you read this. And no doubt a few sarky comments will issue at my 'naiivety'. But if I'm flying to the max, feeling generally exhausted, and using my DDO's in compliance with the law (R&R) - can anyone tell me WHEN I'm supposed to do this additional WORK?

If I do it on my DDO's, am I breaking the law?
Is my company breaking the law by expecting this of me?

I'm not taking the piss here - in normal circumstances I'm happy to do some study at home. But these are no longer normal times, and I just don't have the mental or physical capacity to spare any more in my limited time off work.

So, what to do?

Last edited by Algol; 3rd Jul 2015 at 15:20.