PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK SAR 2013 privatisation: the new thread
Old 1st Jul 2015, 06:01
[email protected]

Received 632 Likes on 274 Posts
Possibly because it is not relevant since among other things it is not designed for 26 year old newbies and not designed for the crew structure, posting policy and career structure that RAF SARF operates.
totally and utterly irrelevant to why and how NVD training was carried out - the experienced/more capable people had to do less training than the newbies but it was still a whole lot more than will be available in the brave new world.

In my opinion, part of the downfall of milSAR (specifically RAF SAR) is that an empire was built on the perpetuated belief that SAR is such a highly skilled discipline that nobody else can do it and you need to train day in day out to remain competent.
hmmm - did we train too much? maybe a bit, but railing against that and trying to maintain competence on a wide skillset with 1.5 hours a day spread amongst your crews is just not the way to do it.

llamaman - perhaps you are of the RN belief that SAR is just a secondary duty and training for things like PLB homings and night wets is just irrelevant for modern SAR crews - if you had seen how much training exchange crews needed to bring them up to our standards you would know the difference and not be so dismissive.

I know there are capable ex-SH pilots in the mix but covert mil ops in the desert (mountains and crap weather included) are not really much like night mountain winching in cloud and rain and snow as I am sure many will find out.

I didn't notice that RAFSAR had a downfall - we (sorry they) are being civilianised due to perceived cost savings and a lack of understanding and support from MoD - just like Navy SAR.

Jerry - I hope for the sakes of all my friends who are with you in Bristow that the training is top drawer and well structured in these early stages - it needs to be. We will have to wait and see how the steady state works out.

I am well aware that I am considered a dinosaur who keeps banging on about how SAR should be done but, since I haven't been 'assimilated' into the 'new world', I am at least allowed to voice my opinion (not something the company or the MCA approve of).

And, for the umpteenth time, I really don't care that I didn't get a job with Bristow - I'm sure I interviewed badly, don't fit their demographic and have a history of saying things they don't like so it wasn't exactly a surprise.

It is interesting that the lead individual of the team decided to take a line pilot position instead of continuing in management though.............