PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - This Is Not Funny Anymore! (Russia And The Baltic Sea)
Old 30th Jun 2015, 22:30
Tankertrashnav

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Are they absolutely 100% nuts over there? Why is it that Russians, that are usually very friendly and fun, seem to attract such horrible horrible leaders?
You have to get inside the mindset of the Russian people, who, as you rightly say are friendly and fun. In the 4 months I spent there in 1992 I met some of the friendliest, nicest people I have ever met. Mind you this may have just been the contrast after spending the previous four months in Paris, where the opposite was the case!

However for centuries the Russians have been brainwashed into believing they are surrounded by a hostile world and have to defend themselves at all costs, and to an extent they have some historical justification for this view. To this end they have always admired strong leaders, and it should come as no surprise to learn that Putin has an over 80% approval rating in Russia. What wouldn't most Western leaders do for that sort of rating? Gorbachev, on the other hand, a leader we regarded as progressive and reasonable, was unpopular, and few in the country would like to see his style of leadership return.

Putin of course plays on this paranoia, and goes from strength to strength. And as for too old - compared with the likes of Brezhnev, Andropov and Chernenko he's nobbut a lad yet!